Thursday, June 14, 2012

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing - Helen Keller

So...I have been working as much as I possibly can to save enough money for Africa, which it sucks to be working when all my friends are hanging out with out me but I just have to remember that it will be well worth it in the end! :) Everyone keeps asking me if I am scared and honestly I am terrified! What if I get there and its nothing like I imagined it would be my entire life, but also what if it is more than I've ever dreamed about?! Still the thought of leaving my family and friends for 3 months to go to a country thousands of miles away where I won't be able to text or call...kinda scary! I know Missionaries go out for 18 months or 2 years and 3 months seem like nothing in comparison but still this is my first time out of the country let alone the first time traveling without a family member. Brindy has always been with me on airplane rides and this one will be the first time without her and it is also exponentially longer than any flight I have been on before. Its going to take 28+ hours to get to Arusha from SLC, if all the flights are on time and there are no delays, kinda crazy! We have multiple stops which include Charlotte, NC then to Washington D.C., then from Washington we fly to Addis Ababa, for those who are not very good with geography that is in Ethiopia!!! Ethiopia?! What happens if we get there and I can't read any of the signs in the airport and I get lost and I can't speak Ethiopian?! I know that is a bit dramatic but you've got to be prepared for the worst! Then finally from Ethiopia we will fly into Kilimanjaro! The flight alone is gonna be an adventure!
I have so much to do before I leave, first off... I need shots....lots of them! :/ I've never been the one that is afraid of needles, and honestly I don't mind shots in the slightest, but having to get 10+ shots is definitely not my idea of a fun time, but its better to be safe than sorry and end up with a disease that may or may not kill you.
Sometimes I think to myself, "Briana, you idiot! What have you gotten yourself into?!" but then I think about what an amazing adventure and opportunity it will be to go after all, "Life is either a daring adventure or nothing!" and I'd much rather have a life full of adventure than to stay home all my life and do nothing! So in 79 days I will go to Salt Lake International Airport, jump onto a plane and start the biggest adventure of my life! I CAN NOT WAIT! eek!

No comments:

Post a Comment